A favorite Texan pastime is sitting on a patio drinking a marg and munching on chips n’ queso. Maybe we’re a bit partial, but we’re proud to say Dallas is home to some of the best margaritas out there. Frozen, on the rocks, salt, no salt, top-shelf or house – however you like it, Dallas has you tequila-lovers covered. With patio season approaching and National Margarita Day coming up, (although that may be every day in this city) we’ve rounded up some of our favorite Dallas margs.
- Mambo Taxi at Mi Cocina: Duh, y’all. A staple in this city, the Mambo Taxi is a frozen swirl that should be sipped with caution.
- Skinny Margarita at Taco Diner: The tart, skinny version of TD’s classic marg packs the punch and flavor of the original with a touch less of the cals.
- Original Frozen Margarita at Mariano’s Hacienda: More than 40 years ago, Mariano Martinez invented the frozen margarita machine right here in Dallas and Tex-Mex was never the same. For the sake of history, you can’t miss out on the O.G. of frozen margaritas at Mariano’s.
- El Santo at Mesero: Swirly, tequila-y deliciousness made with Mesero’s frozen Micorita and house sangria.
- The Original El Fenix Margarita at El Fenix: As classic as they come, El Fenix’s Original Margarita was awarded “Readers’ Choice Best Margarita” in the Best of Big D Awards four out of the past five years. Frozen or on the rocks, this one should be sipped alongside Chili con Queso. Added bonus: El Fenix is toasting to National Margarita Day (Feb. 22) with $2.99 Original Margaritas all day long!
- The Traditional at Desperados: Fresh lime juice, Sauza Silver and Cointreau – the makings of a perfectly simple Mexican cocktail.
- Margarita Flight at Mexican Sugar: If you find yourself in the ‘burbs this National Margarita Day, Mexican Sugar is the spot to be. They’re offering a special flight for $14 featuring the Classic, Hibiscus, and Smoked Pineapple Margaritas. Ideal for those of us who are a little indecisive.
- The Dilemma at Mi Cocina: Appropriately named, this trifecta of Mango Margarita, Strawberry Margarita and Mambo Taxi will be sure to cure any bad day…or at least make you forget it for a bit.
- Avocado Margarita at Meso Maya: Combining two of the most important aspects of Tex-Mex, the avocado marg is dangerously easy to drink with a hint of sweet pineapple.
- Beer-rita at Katy Trail Ice House: Because few things are more satisfying than watching ice-cold beer slowly spill into a frosty schooner of frozen margarita.
- Modern Star Canyon Margarita at Stampede 66: With an $18 price tag, the hot pink drink comes with a Hogwarts-style sideshow. Expect to be mesmerized when a magical little drink trolley rolls up tableside and you watch liquid nitrogen transform the prickly pear mix into a delicious frozen drink topped with candied jalapeño.
- Milagro Spicy Mango Margarita at Gloria’s: Nothing like a little sweet and spicy to get the party started. Oh, and tequila. Maybe that’s the party part.
If you’re looking to bring the cantina to your casa, try this Skinny Blood Orange Margarita! Four ingredients and in your glass in less than five minutes.
Cheers, y’all! xo – lexi