For years my mom has had the absolute best spinach and artichoke dip recipe…perfect for parties. Instead of devouring a bag of crackers and an entire dish of the dip for dinner, I decided it’d be more acceptable if I made it into a proper meal. *Just add pasta*. This is a quick 30-minute-meal, has a bit of a kick, and you can always throw in some chicken or bacon to bulk it up.
The combo of spinach and artichoke is definitely on my Top 5 Favorite Duos List. It’s somewhere up there with peanut butter & jelly, chips & queso, me & Bradley Cooper, and um, pizza & champagne (hehe I had to). You could really throw spinach and artichokes in anything, and it’ll be delicious. Dip, stuffed mushrooms, omelets, bruschetta, cupcakes…okay so maybe not everything, but a lot of things.
This sauce is super creamy and sticks to the pasta perfectly, and the little surprise bites of artichokes are just great. The pasta alone was plenty filling for me, but like I said, grilled chicken would just add to the yumminess
The recipe could feed about six people, so pair it with a salad and maybe some bread, and it’s ready for a dinner party!
Spinach & Artichoke Pasta
- 1 16 oz. box penne pasta (you can also use whole wheat)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tblsp. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
- 1 14 oz. can quartered artichoke hearts
- 1 7 oz. can chopped green chiles
- 1 6 oz. bag baby spinach
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large saucepan, and cook the garlic until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook for a few minutes while whisking.
- Continue to whisk and slowly add in the milk. Cook until it begins to thicken up, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and parmesan, and cook until the cheese completely melts.
- Add the spinach, artichokes, and green chiles, and continue to stir and cook until the spinach completely wilts.
- Turn the heat to medium-low, and season the sauce with the lemon pepper and salt.
- Drain the pasta, and toss it with the sauce in a large bowl. Garnish with some extra parm, and enjoy!