This might sound weird (it definitely does), but Lexi and I really want to like bourbon. It seems like such a cool and sophisticated thing to drink, but at least for me, I physically cannot do it. Not for me. So, I decided to ease into bourbon by putting it in hot fudge on top of ice cream on top of a brownie..because, that’s a totally logical way to make yourself like bourbon, duh.
But really, this turned out absolutely delicious. You could put this hot fudge sauce on tons of desserts – I actually mixed some in with a milkshake and it was delicious, but photographed horribly. Bummer. But the hot fudge is on. point.
This is also a super simple dessert – embrace those boxed brownies. I used Ghiradelli because they are by far my family’s favorite kind of boxed brownies, and I also didn’t feel like making brownies from scratch, so there.
This would be a great dessert to have at a dinner party and guests can “build” their own sundaes. The bourbon in the hot fudge sauce makes it taste like a fancy dessert, but it’ll be our secret that it’s actually not.
Booze AND dessert? What could be better? (answer: nothing).
Bourbon Hot Fudge Sauce
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tblsp. instant coffee/espresso powder
- 1 cup water
- 10 oz. bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, whisk cocoa powder and sugar together. Over medium heat, slowly whisk in coffee powder and water, and whisk constantly until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Just as the mixture starts to boil, whisk in chocolate until melted, and finally whisk in bourbon.
- Pour mixture into container with a lid, and store in the fridge until ready to use. Before serving, heat fudge up in the microwave just until its pourable.
- Serve over brownies and ice cream!