We just got back from our first Coachella, and let’s just say we’re already planning Coachella 2019. No exaggeration – it was seriously one of the best experiences. If you followed along on our InstaStories, you probably got the jist.
To be honest, I initially had no desire to go. Kelsie and our friends had it planned for months, and I sorta tagged along last-minute. As in, I bought my wristband the day before the festival, HA (would not recommend.) I’d heard about the crowds and the dirt and the long days, and it sounded like an anxiety attack waiting to happen.But, I can’t tell yall how happy I am they convinced me to go. We were with seasoned Coachella professionals, who gave us tips on surviving the three-day weekend. For most, this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, so make the most of it, and keep these tips in mind for a fun and safe weekend!
- Hydrate – Hydration is NUMBER 1. And I don’t mean beer. This is the desert. It’s dry and hot and exhausting. Drink plenty of water before trekking to the festival grounds, and order water every time you order booze. Just do it.
- Stay nearby or get the shuttle pass – We stayed in Indio and were walking distance to the fields – SO convenient. If you can, find an Airbnb in Indio. If you’re in Palm Springs, buy a shuttle pass and the shuttles will take people to a variety of hotels and drop-off points throughout the night. No one wants to wait 2 hours for an Uber.
- Map out your schedule – Unless you can be in two places at once, there’s no way you’ll get to see every performer you want to during the weekend! The Coachella app was super helpful in planning a schedule of who we really wanted to see, so we knew exactly where to be and when. Type A for the win.
- Wear comfortable shoes – Yes, Coachella is also about the #fashion, but cute booties are not so cute when you can’t walk in them. You’ll be on your feet all day, and tbh I ended up taking my shoes off at the end of the night because I literally couldn’t stand anymore. Tennis shoes were much more practical on days 2 and 3. And athleisure is IN.
- Pack a portable charger – Imagine your phone dying right before the magical, surprise reunion of Destiny’s Child during Beyonce’s performance. Bring a portable charger and you’ll be able to capture all the pics and vids your heart desires. There are also a few charging stations throughout the grounds!
- Bring a bandana – Again, this is the desert. And deserts are dusty AF. Pack a bandana to cover your nose and mouth if the dirt starts kicking up. Speaking from experience, a mouth full of sand is not ideal.
- Wear sunscreen – Seems obvious, right? That desert sun is no joke, so slather on SPF before heading out for the day.
- Remember your Girl Scout (or Boy Scout) training – Lol-ing at this last one because our parents actually said this to us. Use the buddy system, be aware of your surroundings and use common sense. We had no issues and everyone we met was super nice, but just be smart and safe, people!
Alright, who’s coming with us to Coachella ’19? It’ll be the 20th anniversary! Praying Drake is in the line-up.